Sunday 8 December 2013

“I am the Next Nelson Mandela” – Kanye West

 Kanye West is quite the controversial rapper and he
was recently put under fire for claiming that he will
soon be a bigger cultural and civil rights icon than
Nelson Mandela.
In an interview with WGCI radio in Chicago, the
notoriously self-promoting rapper said that the
death of the 95-year-old South African leader will
finally allow people to focus more of their attention
on West’s own accomplishments.
“I am the next Nelson Mandela,” West responded.
“I’m only 36 years old, and when I look at
everything I’ve accomplished, it’s the only
comparison that makes any sense. By the time I’m
95, I’m going to be a bigger hero than he ever was.
“Nelson Mandela did a lot of good work, don’t get
me wrong. But I think I’m on track to do something
even bigger. I liberate minds with my music. That’s
more important than liberating a few people from
apartheid or whatever.
“Not to say Mandela wasn’t for real. I have mad
respect. I just think we need to keep things in
perspective here. Anyone can be replaced. And I
think I’m well on my way towards being the next
great black leader. I’m already worshiped around
the world. And there’s more to come.”
Former South African president and anti-apartheid
leader Nelson Mandela died after years of declining
health. His legacy of peaceful reconciliation has
been universally praised by political leaders, the
media and ordinary citizens around the world.
Kanye West, for his part, is known for going to
extraordinary lengths to focus attention on himself.
His reaction today was so unusual, however, that
host Adrian Cronauer decided to challenge his
assertions.
“What have you actually done for civil rights?” he
asked. “Have you been involved in any campaigns?
Any political activities? It seems to me comparing
yourself to Mandela is a bit of a stretch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment